Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween, Dia de los Muertos and all souls day

Hi everyone

I hope your having a wonder full holiday, Halloween is one of my favorite holidays though growing up we celebrated all souls day. Halloween is such a treat for me and this year in honor of a friend that passed away I will be continuing our tradition of dressing up. This year i decided to paint my face and my inspiration is the sugar skulls for the day of the dead celebrations. Its relatively cheap and it made use of make up that I didn't like or make up that I will never ever use like red and blue eye shadows. This is not a tutorial and I am no make up artist but a make up aficionado anyway here are some pictures how I created my look. The only things I bought is the white and black cream base the colorful eyeliners. Everything else is from my constantly evolving collection of make up




If you need help here is a few links to how to create sugar skulls michelle phan, makeupgeek. These tutorials really helped me a lot
 
Update*** I know day of the dead is almost done but other parts of the world is still celebrating all souls day till the weekend. :)
 
 
 
The items I used here are items I bought from the drugstore except for the 88 palate that I received as a Christmas gift. This is relatively easy make up to do but the effects are striking. I kept getting compliments at work and a lot of people where quite impressed.
 
Before anything else first moisturize I can't say that enough this make up will dry out your skin so moisturize and apply a very thick application of lip balm you will thank me later when your skin and lips is protected and not so dry. Also apply a good make up base to help protect your skin even more and allow the make up to apply even better.
 
So for the base I bought some white and black face make up from rite aide each cost $1 I used the white based all over my face, I find that if you mix the white cream make up with a little bit of light foundation you get a much easier and even application also using a buffing brush helps a lot. Set the white make up with powder to keep it from moving and smearing.
 
For the eyes I used a combination of black eyeliner and black face make up. I wasn't very comfortable using the black face make up on my water line so I used black eyeliner to tight line my eyes and around my eye area and create the border for the eyes and the half circles the spider web and the line along my mouth. I used black eye shadow to set the black eyeliner and black cream make up along my eyes. I initially planned on using black cream eyeliner but the cream eyeliner was much harder to remove.
 
For the colorful flowers I used some cheap bright eyeliners from NYC, Wet and Wild and Essence. All of those eyeliner cost 99 cents. Since the eyeliners doesn't have a good staying power I set it with a complementing eye shadow. The 88 shimmer palate really came in handy it had an excellent variety of colors from shimmery reds, matte blue, neon green and yellow.
 
I added a few sparkly stones used eyelash glue to apply them and then applied supper long eyelash they are from ardel double up line. To be honest with you out of all the make up I have piled on my face the eyelash where the most uncomfortable. It was just so heavy I don't know how some women can wear this kind of lashes everyday.
 
As a final touch I spritz on some of the Urban decay all nighter setting spray, to set everything I think it faded some of the colors but this make up stayed put for 12 hours I had to retouch the lip area after eating lunch and dinner.
 
I plan on doing this sugar skulls or dia de los muertos make up next year. I might do something more creative with my outfit since I only wore an all black out fit.
 
To remove the face make up, it is very thick and it is a lot of make up. So you need a really good make up remover. Used the bioderma cleansing water, first I soak to cotton pads with the make up remover and put that on my eyes and let that sit on my eyes for a few minutes. While that is sitting on my eyes I get another cotton pad soak that with the make up remover and just run that all over my face. You will need a lot of cotton pads and a lot of make up remover. I am not kidding that when I say this is a lot of make up. Your letting the product work instead of rubbing that way you don't  irritate your skin further.
 
After removing all of the make up and eye make up wash your face with a creamy cleanser and apply a hydrating serum and moisturizer.
 
I know creating the face make up and removing the face make up is equally time consuming but it is worth it.
 
I hope this somewhat helps you out there, it's relatively cheap the only items I had to buy is the colorful eyeliner and cream base everything from my collection. Everyone has a black shirt and black pants and black shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment